Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Small Cultural Differences...

-I have been served soup 3 times so far in Mexico and each time I have been given a HUGE spoon, so big I almost can't even use it.

-The moment that a person steps on a bus here in Merida and pays his/her 5 pesos, the driver hits the gas with no regard for whether or not your footing is secure.

-When you put your bank card into an ATM it is not always a for sure thing that you will get either your card or money back.


I'm starting to get settled in here in Merida and I'm noticing some interesting things about the culture. First of all, Yucatecos have a very strong sense of state pride. They are above all else Yucatecans and then after this, Mexicans. Something that those of us from Texas can relate with. My family serves me food and then tells me whether its Yucateca or just plain Mexican food. Also, being an American here means one of two things. Either you get ripped off because the people know that most Americans will pay the high price...or you get a huge discount because the owners know that you being in their establishment will draw attention and business. Thirdly, La Universidad Autonoma de Yucatan is very beautful. The campus is not centralized like universities in America. Each different facultad, or major, has its own campus.

The night life in Merida is also unbelievable. It was Grandmother's Day nation wide in Mexico today and I went to a photography show of local grandmother's. And since many of the Abuelas, and people in general, here are Mayan there was a huge traditional ceremony full of singing and dancing. If you've never seen a 65 year old Mayan couple dance....you're missing out, sorta. And then there are endless restaurants, bars, clubs (which they call discos, and beautiful places just to walk around. I understand completely why so many Americans retire in this city.

Hasta

No comments: