Sunday, November 11, 2007

Yesterday I played in a basketball tournament at my university here in Merida. I arrived at about 9:30 because I was told everything started at 10 and I wanted to shoot around a bit beforehand. I have no idea what I was thinking because a 10 o'clock start time in Mexico means 11, and a 10 o'clock start time in Mexico at an event run by college students means 12. Well sure enough, I played my first round at 12:30. We won the game, in fact we won all of our games and my team won a 500 peso grand prize. Which is really only about $10 a person when it is divided among 5 people. But hey free money is free money. But what I found most amusing yesterday was that in the final game of the tournament, my team played the school's team. By that I mean the team that represents the Anthropology campus in competition within the entire University, and they lost to us. They lost to 5 guys (of whom all but one were shorter than 5'7) who hadn't really ever played organized basketball before. They were all about 6' or taller too...it was kind of interesting.

This morning I woke up and met some Mexican friends for church. It was a Presbyterian church about a 40 minute bus ride from my house, one of the only protestant churches I've run into down here. I really enjoyed both the service and the college group class afterward. It was a really refreshing experience and I made some great new Christian friends. I'm looking forward to grabbing some coffee with one of them this week. Good Christian fellowship can be hard to come by down here.

I've started to notice that I am beginning to make fewer and fewer grammatical errors while writing in Spanish, but my errors in my English writings have increased from zero to many. I only write in English when I'm writing emails and blogs etc..but if I don't proof read first then my English writings are full of scattered spanish words and weird phrases like "i played in a tournament of basketball" due to the positioning of the adjective after the noun in Spanish.

O well...lo que sea

4 comments:

Brent said...

I played in a 3-on-3 basketball tournament at a public park in Holland once and we finished in 2nd place...largely because we were Americans who had at some point played basketball in middle school.

Let's just say that the Dutch, with their soccer leanings, don't play many sports with their hands while most Americans can throw and catch. And dribbling was so awkward for them it bordered on funny. And these were teams who practiced a while to be in the tournament.

My guess is your height had little to do with it.

Something else fun to do for the locals: Try to teach them to throw an American football and make it spiral. Or punt it.

Adam Lauchner said...

Now we're talkin! Daily blogs, that's what I'm looking for. Then again, noting your previous blog entry, "I have five 10 page papers in Spanish over the next couple of weeks. Two of which of due this Wednesday...", I can only assume that this is a procrastination tactic and that your desire to keep your friends and family informed of your goings on is purely a secondary motive. ;)

Good luck on your papers!

Craig said...

Adam, you caught me. Well played...

mavis_davis said...

i totally feel you with the english thing. i've ALWAYS been a good speller. and now i'm terrible at english. and all the time on the phone i find myself going, "wait...what's that word?" lo que sea is right...